Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Final Year Project a.k.a. FYP

Today, I am at Kangar, Perlis. Ya, I am having my holiday, or semester break now, from 26/9 until 17/10/2010. This indicates that I have completed my UTAR degree year 4 sem 1. This was definitely a tough and busy semester. I believe that my friends around can sense it too. I joined less activities this semester, I seldom hang out with them this semester. Why was I so busy? 1st, the most important one, my final year project, or it is usually called as FYP, which caused quite a headache for me the whole semester, and I guess that this headache will continue until I finish my whole degree.

As mentioned in previous post, my title for FYP was "Microstructural behavior of lightweight foam concrete". In this project, the instruments that initially required were quite high-tech one, and of course, the price of the instrument were also very high $$$$$. One of the instruments, which was the most important one, was named as SEM - Scanning Electron Microscope , and the another was XRD - X-ray Deflectometry (the name I not sure correct or not lol). According to my lecturer, these instrument costs about hundred thousands, and UTAR have acquired the XRD last semester, while the SEM will be reaching UTAR by end of this year also. Because of this FYP, Sintat and me, both had attended a so-called training or I think it is more to briefing of the XRD. However, after that I had told by the lecturer that we may not use that instrument already because he has to be around us whenever we use that instrument, so it would be quite troublesome. Besides, the SEM also the same. Thus, end up, we will only use an optical microscope for this FYP. Well, this indicates that our title was totally different from the initial one, from microscopic behavior to air-void characteristic =.="

However, this is still a quite tough project, of course, because if it is easy, it is not more FYP, rite? Below will show some of the photo for my FYP... and they are more to the photos of concrete casting...
Well, we are planning to do the research for the concrete until the age of 6months. That caused us being so damn busy the whole semester because we have to complete the 6-month sample preparation before September, otherwise, we will not possible to finish it next year. That was really a great relieve after all the samples were completed. What came next was the 1st submission of report, i.e. first three chapters of the FYP reports. Everyone started to do it quite early, and that's the actual way. But me? started to do it on week 13, almost week 14 =.= Luckily, it can be completed on the due date/time. I write it here "on" not "before" because the deadline was on 5pm, Monday, and I really submit it on that time, 5pm!!

Then, the next day was the presentation of the FYP. It can be said as the presentation of mine in degree with which I most satisfy XD

End of the presentation means that we have to face the final examination. Although the subjects in this semester were all sucks, all of them were over now!! :)


This was the "cute" cartoon, I guess that I created and put it in my FYP presentation as the introduction for the problem statement, cute right? lol


1 comment:

kousalya said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again

BE Final Year Projects